This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETROCK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETROCK

List entry Number: 1147794

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETROCK, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: South Brent

National Park: DARTMOOR

Grade: I

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Jan-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 99357

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SCHEDULE In the entry for: SOUTH BRENT CHURCH STREET SX 6960

14/74 Church of St Petrock

II The Grade shall be amended to read

SOUTH BRENT SX 6960 CHURCH STREET

14/74 Church of St Petrock

I ------------------------------------ SOUTH BRENT CHURCH STREET SX 6960

14/74 Church of St Petrock

9-2-61

GV II

Parish church. Circa C12 west tower, formerly at the crossing of the originally cruciform church. The west end was demolished circa early C14 when the present nave was rebuilt with two transepts. North and south aisles of early C15, probably 1436 when three altars were dedicated, restored late C19. Granite rubble slate roofs. All round the church are thin buttresses with set-offs. Nave and north and south aisles under one roof. North aisle has two restored Perpendicular three-light windows and restored three-light window with intersecting tracery and three-light straight-headed windows with C13 blocked doorway below. South aisle has two restored three-light Perpendicular windows three-light window with restored intersectiing tracery and hollow-chamfered two-centred arch south doorway with nail-studded plank door with wrought iron strap hinges. Circa C15 south porch with two-centred moulded arch doorway. Chancel has restored Perpendicular windows, three lights to south and four lights to east. North and south transepts with restored four-light Perpendicular north and south windows, north transept has blocked east window. chapels to north and south of chancel in the angles with transepts, with moulded battlement and restored four-light Perpendicular windows. The south chapel has a small chamfered depressed arch down on south side and a rood stair turret with battlements in the angle with south transept. Unbuttressed west tower (originally central) with three string courses and battlements on corbel table, Lancet bell-openings. Blocked tower arches on north and west sides. That on the west side has inserted three-light window with intersecting tracery and restored mullions and a hollow-chamfered two-central arch window below. Vestry in position of original south transept. Interior: Five bay north and south acrades plus one way to chancel chapels with double-chamfered arches and tall octagonal granite piers with moulded capitals of limestone. The arches to the transepts are stilted on the east side to accommodate the screen which has been removed. Double chamfered four-centred chancel arch high up on corbels. Plain two-centred tower arch with imposts and blocked arch on south of tower. Nave, transepts and chancel have late C19 inserted waggon roof. Triple sedilia on south side of chancel with cusped ogee arches, two with shields in the spandrels. Piscina has cusped arch and multifoil bowl. Cusped ogee-arched piscina in north chapel. Late C12 red sandstone font with round bowl with cable moulding around top, wide frieze of palmettes and ziggag below. Base of circa wooden screeen used as altar rail. Late C19 furnishings including carved chair stalls and pulpit and brass eagle lecturn. Monuments: Johannis Cary 1729 slate tablet in north chapel. Three early-mid C19 wall monument in chancel. Admiral William Cuming, 1824 marble wall monument by Kendall of Exeter with mourning female bent over an urn. At west end of north aisle a painted board to Robert Prowse and wife 1717 with Latin inscription.

Listing NGR: SX6961760254

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 69619 60257

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147794 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 10:22:19.

End of official listing