BATTLESBRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147832

Date first listed: 14-Oct-1986

Statutory Address: BATTLESBRIDGE, CHELMSFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BATTLESBRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147832 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 13:21:16.

Location

Statutory Address: BATTLESBRIDGE, CHELMSFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Chelmsford (District Authority)

Parish: Rettendon

County: Essex

District: Rochford (District Authority)

Parish: Rawreth

National Grid Reference: TQ7806794668

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RAYLEIGH CHELMSFORD ROAD TQ 79 SE BATTLESBRIDGE 2/58 Battlesbridge GV II

This asset was previously listed twice also under List entry 1237526 in the Parish of Rawreth. This entry was removed from the List on 01/12/2014.

Road bridge crossing the tidal River Crouch. Circa 1872. William Webster, St. Martin's Place, Trafalgar Square, London, at a cost of £3,500. Cast iron centre arch, gault brick side arches with brick parapets and end pillars. The centre ribbed arch of 47 feet has a cast iron panelled face to east with 5 foliated tie bosses and trellised cast iron parapet with moulded rail. Side arches each of 20 feet with brick rusticated keystones and moulded bases. Moulded band over arch, chamfered coping. The central pillars with moulded heads, end pillars with chamfered heads. Rounded cut waters. Total length of bridge 117 feet. Records of bridges on this site date to 1372. The previous bridge c1845 by Thos. Hopper was demolished by a steam traction engine thus the specification for this bridge was stringent. "Composed of best soft grey metal. The whole of the girders to be put together in the yard and proved in the presence of the architect at the contractor's risk with a hydraulic ram, with the following weights in the centre ... each external girder proved with a weight of 16½ tons in the centre with a clear bearing of 47 feet. Each girder to return at once to its original form after proof and to remain without permanent set." The bridge had a clear width between parapets of 18 feet and for over 100 years carried all road traffic across the River Crouch. During the past few years, the bridge has been widened to the west face to accommodate 2 lane traffic. The original finials are now erected in front of Cromwell House, Rettendon, to the north west of the bridge. Local history studies. Leslie T. Newman. Batsford Guide to Industrial Archaeology in East Anglia. J. Booker.

Listing NGR: TQ7806794668

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 123002

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Alderton, , Booker, , The Batsford Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of East Anglia, (1980)
Newman, T , Local History Studies

End of official listing