This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE FIRS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE FIRS

List entry Number: 1147889

Location

THE FIRS, HARWICH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wrabness

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 120340

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WRABNESS HARWICH ROAD TM 13 SE (south side) 1/115 The Firs

- II

House. Late medieval, extended in C19. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with mixed red and blue clay pantiles. 2-bay hall facing W, with inserted stack of c.1600 in left bay against rear wall, service bay to left, and parlour/solar bay at right end. C19 single-storey extension to rear of right end, and C19 lean-to extension in left rear angle, both of red brick with slate roofs. One storey with attics. 3 C20 casements, and 4 more in segmental-roofed dormers. C20 door in front of gabled porch. Jowled posts, heavy studding. Internal tiebeams missing or severed. The left bay (originally an unstoreyed service bay) has an inserted floor of c.1600 comprising a chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops and plain joists of horizontal section; wood-burning hearth reduced for C20 grate. In the hall the studding at the right end is exposed, with a clear series of scribed carpenter's assembly marks, and peg-holes for a fixed bench. Large wood-burning hearth of 330mm. brickwork. Floor comprising longitudinal chamfered joists of horizontal section with plain stops, formerly jointed into a transverse beam at the left end and lodged at the right end, but raised above their original position. Roof not inspected but reported to be rebuilt. The exterior was weatherboarded until 1973, the date inscribed in the plaster of the left gable.

Listing NGR: TM1745230632

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 17452 30632

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147889 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 09:50:53.

End of official listing