DOGGETTS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147913

Date first listed: 13-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: DOGGETTS FARMHOUSE, DOGGETTS CHASE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOGGETTS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147913 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 02:42:17.

Location

Statutory Address: DOGGETTS FARMHOUSE, DOGGETTS CHASE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Rochford (District Authority)

Parish: Rochford

National Grid Reference: TQ 88065 91976

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROCHFORD DOGGETTS CHASE TQ 89 SE 6/191 Doggetts Farmhouse GV II House. Early C19 front range of C16 or earlier origin. Gault brick front and right return, hipped red plain tiled roof. C16 red brick external chimney stack to left return, off centre right and 3 rear chimney stacks. 2 storeys, parapet. 4 window range of tripartite small paned vertically sliding sashes, segmental heads. Off centre right 3-panelled door with top light oval fanlight, flat canopy and side lights. Right return, 3 similar window range. Internal features include vertical shutters to one room, 6 cast iron fire surrounds to upstairs rooms and landing including one very small, narrow surround with round head possibly used for heating warming pans etc. C18 panelled overmantel and side cupboard with 3 shelves. C19 W.C. with wooden bench seat. C19 archway and cornice to hall. Stick balusters to staircase, wreathed handrail. 6-panelled doors with moulded surrounds. In the kitchen to left is an original C16 stone firesurround with stop chamfered arch. There are scratch dates and names on the stone, one reads Rebecca Rake 1595. The frame of the original building is at present covered excepting for some heavy wall studs adjacent to this chimney stack which have recently been exposed. Philip Morant writes," another reputed Manor, it took the name from an ancient family, 1305 Robert Doggett and Alice his wife held one messuage and 26 acres of arable purchased by Beatrix Doggett. It belonged to Robert Earl of Warwick in 1619". L.E. Jerram-Burrows writes that the property was purchased in 1867 by a Shropshire man William Taylor Meeson from the then Lord of the Manor. Philip Morant "A History of the County of Essex", 1763-8. L.E. Jerram-Burrows "Rochford Remembered" 1983.

Listing NGR: TQ8806591976

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 123183

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Burrows, L E Jerram , Rochford Remembered, (1983)
Morant, P, The History of Essex, (1763)

End of official listing