Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1148026

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1951



Ordnance survey map of MARKET HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148026 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 11:48:16.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)

Parish: Bakewell

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: SK 21862 68570


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SK2168 BRIDGE STREET 831-1/4/29 (South side) 13/03/51 Market Hall


Former market hall now information centre. c1600 origin; altered C18 and with eastern extension of 1858 and later rear porch. Deeply-coursed sandstone, stone slate roof. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 5-window range; double-span roof. Bridge Street front: large quoins; plinth to bay 1 and straight joint on right. Chamfered surrounds to 2-light mullioned windows with leaded lights; first-floor sill band across bays 2-5; single-light window to first floor of bay 1. Ashlar gutter; mid C19 blind gabled dormers over bays 2-5 have painted shields, shaped kneelers and roll-moulded copings with apex gablets; end gables similarly treated. Rear: single-storey porch has triangular-headed entrance with double doors; leaded sidelights; ashlar parapet with moulded copings. Chamfered mullioned windows and gabled dormer to main wall. Tudor-arched doorway into right end bay. Left return: 3-light mullioned window with dripstone; oriel bay window of 1:2:1 lights to first-floor right. Right return: 3 late C19 square-headed openings with central entrance flanked by display windows. West gable rebuilt 1896. INTERIOR: Bridge Street side has infilled arcade of 4 round arches which spring from large blocks. Window heads of opposite wall have reused timber lintels including 2 sections of multiple-light windows with sockets for diagonally-set mullions. Central valley supported on 2 iron pillars. Each roof with small principal-rafter trusses having diagonal struts; large-scantling purlins and diagonally-set ridge (some reconstruction). The arcaded side wall was filled in C18; the building may have been timber-framed on the upper floor. HISTORY: served as Town Hall from 1827 also used as wash-house and courtroom in mid C19. In 1858 floor removed and building used as courtroom and assembly hall. Became market hall when Bakewell's new town hall was built in 1891.

Listing NGR: SK2186268570


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 468063

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing