This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HOPE CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOPE CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1148107

Location

HOPE CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL, TRINITY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Dec-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 468006

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEYMOUTH

SY6878NW TRINITY STREET 873-1/24/390 (West side) 17/06/74 Hope Congregational Chapel (Formerly Listed as: TRINITY STREET (West side) Hope Congregational Church)

GV II

Congregational chapel. Dated 1822 (inscribed panel on facade), re-erected 1862. Cream ashlar front, Portland rubble returns with brick dressings, slate roof, and brick rear wing, at higher level in Herbert Place. A boldly modelled front in mannerist classical detail, with 1:3:1 lofty arched lights with margin panes in moulded architraves and square sills on mouldings, set in recessed panels; the outer arch moulding is stopped to the capitals of square piers, and there is a high plinth with moulded offset. To each side is a pair of C20 glazed doors in small quarter-pilasters to a flat entablature, and a pair of sunk panels, on 5 broad stone steps with nosings. Below the central window is a stone panel with the inscribed dates. The heavy cornice is on modillion brackets, with blocking and coped parapet. To left and right, slightly set back, are short lengths of ashlar wall with arched openings under an entablature. The long sides have 7 bays, with lights to stone arches but brick jambs, with shallow buttresses to weathered tops. At the rear, on a higher level, is a red brick 2-storey addition with ancillary rooms, dated 1885. INTERIOR: noted as having been remodelled in mid C20.







Listing NGR: SY6801278594

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SY 68012 78594

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148107 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 03:20:08.

End of official listing