CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1148153

Date first listed: 30-Jun-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, VILLAGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148153 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 02:10:12.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, VILLAGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough (District Authority)

Parish: Folkton

National Grid Reference: TA 05360 79689

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 07 NE FOLKTON VILLAGE STREET (north side)

5/36 Church of Saint John the 30.6.66 Evangelist

GV II*

Church. C13 with C12 origins; C13 tower with upper stage of 1877-81; chancel shortened 1772; south side of nave rebuilt C19; re-roofed 1906. Herringbone-tooled sandstone and sandstone ashlar; slate roof. West tower, nave and chancel. 3-stage embattled tower with angle buttresses and staircase turret has slit windows to two lower stages; 2-light pointed bell openings under pointed arches to third stage. Pointed south door in quoined opening under corbelled dripmould. Two flat-topped 3-light windows with panel tracery to right. Similar window of C15 inserted in north wall, interrupting impost band. C13 trefoil-headed lancet to left. Further similar openings blocked in north and south walls of curtailed chancel. 1854 east window of 3 pointed lights with small trefoil window above. Interior: C13 double-chamfered chancel arch on C12 responds of three shafts with scallop and volute capitals, one forming a rabbit's head. C13 triple- chamfered tower arch. Deeply-splayed tower lancet. Blocked round-arched doorway in nave north wall. Fragments of medieval painted glass incorporated in north window. Norman tub font with cable mouldings to top and bottom. Monuments; to Rev. W. Minithorpe (d. 1774) by Chambers of Scarborough; to John (d. 1316) and Edwin (d. 1821) Minithorpe by Taylor of York.

Listing NGR: TA0536079689

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 326973

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing