This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

List entry Number: 1148211

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Newby and Scalby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 326903

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 09SW SCALBY CHURCH HILL (north side)

5/35 Church of St Laurence -

GV II*

Church. Late C12 - C13 with later alterations and additions, including the tower, probably 1683, but in Gothic style. Heavily restored and extended in 1859. Coursed, squared sandstone. Stone flag roof. West tower, 3-bay nave with south aisle and south porch, 2-bay chancel. The 2-stage tower has battlements, diagonal buttresses and extruded staircase tower to parapet level. 4-light bell openings and window on south side have semicircular heads, stone mullions, with incised decoration in the spandrels. Semicircular hood-moulds. String course at main roof eaves level. The north wall of the nave is of medieval masonry. 3 reset 2-light windows, with cusped tracery and pierced quatrefoil heads, with stepped buttresses between. The south wall, and the south porch, were rebuilt in C19 with one 3-light and one 2-light windows similar to those in north wall. The north wall of the chancel is of medieval masonry, the south was rebuilt in C19. 2 lancet windows in each wall. C19 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. Interior: the nave arcade of circular piers with square abaci is late C12. The pier Lo the east has a crudely carved water-leaf capital. The arches were rebuilt in the C15. C13 chancel arch springs from triple responds, apparently renewed. The centre one is keeled and the grooved square abaci are probably original. Fittings: stone slab in the chancel with a floriated cross carved in low relief, said to be C13. Good C18 wall monuments to both sides of chancel. Medieval font. 1 tower window bears the inscription: '1683. Thomas -, Samewell -, Church wardens', which may refer to the insertion of bell openings and windows in an existing tower.

Listing NGR: TA0090990329

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TA 00909 90329

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148211 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 06:26:11.

End of official listing