This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NO 91, THE BLACK HORSE PUBLIC HOUSE AND NO 92

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NO 91, THE BLACK HORSE PUBLIC HOUSE AND NO 92

List entry Number: 1148300

Location

92, CHURCH STREET
THE BLACK HORSE PUBLIC HOUSE, 91, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Whitby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Oct-1973

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 326632

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1811 CHURCH STREET (East Side) The Black Horse Public House. No 92 NZ 9011 2/80 II GV

2. C18. 3 storeys in painted brick. 4 windows, wood flush frames, no glazing bars. Centre flat carriage arch. No 92 has 2-window shop front of early C20 date with elaborate foliated consoles. Mainly modern glazed door with blocked rectangular fanlight. Rendered stall risers. Public house has 5-fielded door and 2 windows with frosted glass in rendered architrave with 4 pilasters. Plinth. Name on fascia. The yard is of interest as being the site of the kitchen midden of the Anglian monastery of St Hilda.

Nos 84 to 90 (even), Former White Horse Inn, The Black Horse Public House Nos 93 to 100 (consec) Nos 105 to 112A (consec) & Nos 114 to 117 (consec) form a group.

The Black Horse Public Horse

No 92

shall be be amended to read No 91 (The Black Horse Public House) -

------------------------------------ 1. 1811 CHURCH STREET (East Side) The Black Horse Public House. No 92 NZ 9011 2/80

II GV

2. C18. 3 storeys in painted brick. 4 windows, wood flush frames, no glazing bars. Centre flat carriage arch. No 92 has 2-window shop front of early C20 date with elaborate foliated consoles. Mainly modern glazed door with blocked rectangular fanlight. Rendered stall risers. Public house has 5-fielded door and 2 windows with frosted glass in rendered architrave with 4 pilasters. Plinth. Name on fascia. The yard is of interest as being the site of the kitchen midden of the Anglian monastery of St Hilda.

Nos 84 to 90 (even), Former White Horse Inn, The Black Horse Public House, Nos 93 to 100 (consec), Nos 105 to 112A (consec) & Nos 114 to 117 (consec) form a group.

Listing NGR: NZ9002011156

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ9002011156

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148300 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 08:13:27.

End of official listing