Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148386.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2021 at 03:08:57.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Yorkshire
Selby (District Authority)
Stutton with Hazlewood
National Grid Reference:
SE 44883 39770



Castle, now Carmelite monastery. Late C13 origins, licence to crenellate granted to William Vavasour in 1286. Later additions and alterations in at least 3 stages including C15 tower and refurbishing of interior c1760 attributed to John Carr. Further restorations and rebuilding c1960 for Donald Hart and c1980 for Carmelite Friars. Dressed magnesian limestone with concrete additions and concealed Welsh slate and lead roof. Approximately H-shaped on plan. 2 storeys and basement, 5 bays arranged 2:2:5:2:2 with bays 2 and 4 breaking forward. Chamfered plinth. Flight of steps with decorative ironwork balustrade to entrance, a double 8-fielded- panel door with patterned overlight within door-case with replaced Roman Doric columns supporting fluted frieze and dentilled pediment. Further entrance to rear, pointed, traceried double oak doors brought from Eaton Old Hall c1960. C20 casement windows throughout. Evidence of earlier mullion windows. Crenellations, some replaced. Ridge and rear stacks. To west side are remains of slit windows and to north, evidence of 3 late C17 or early C18 windows with hood-moulds and sills. One originally 2-pointed- light, straight-headed window with moulded spandrels to tower with one light now blocked by later rebuilding. Interior: probable late C13 window now exposed to rear wall of Great Hall, a 2-shouldered-light window within cavetto-moulded shouldered arch with chamfered jambs within depressed chamfered, pointed-arched recess. Remains of probable early C14 newel staircase to rear of Great Hall. Neo-classical rooms include great hall with Greek Doric colonnade, round arcaded niches and marble fireplace; circular ante-room; staircase hall has cantilevered staircase with cast-iron balustrade and wreathed handrail; drawing room and dining room, with marble fireplaces, decorative plaster ceilings, ornamental door-cases and 6- fielded-panel doors. Further late C18 fireplaces and cornices to second floor. Kitchen has round arched fireplace exposed within remains of further probable C17 Tudor-arched opening. Remains of probable earlier C17 fireplace to rear kitchen. Also remains of basket-arched doorway with chamfered jambs. During 1960s various interiors were imported including Flemish panelled room dated 1673-1683 from the Carmelite Church in Ghent incorporating stone fireplace and sculpted overmantel from Eaton Old Hall; the library has probable C16 north European bookcases and 2 barley-twist columns. The castle has been in the possession of the Carmelite Friars since 1972. D Thornton and H Royston, Hazlewood Castle, A Pictorial Record. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, pp 256-7. Country Life, 19 December, 1957, pp 1380-1383. Calendar of Patent Rolls 1281-1290, p 383, 18 Edward I, Membrane II.

Listing NGR: SE4488339781


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Calendar of Patent Rolls 1281-1290383
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 256-7
Thornton, , Royston, , Hazlewood Castle A Pictorial Record
'Country Life' in 19 December, (1957), 1380-1383


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/02094/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].