This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY (ROMAN CATHOLIC)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY (ROMAN CATHOLIC)

List entry Number: 1148399

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY (ROMAN CATHOLIC), HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Carlton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 326472

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for the following:- SE 62 SW CARLTON HIGH STREET 1267-/9/10000 (West side) 11.11.93 CHURCH OF ST MARY RC Church II

The Grade shall be amended to read II * ( star)

------------------------------------

SE 62 SW CARLTON HIGH STREET 1267-/9/10000 (West side) St Mary's RC Church II Roman Catholic church. 1842. Designed by Hadfield of Weightman & Hadfield, Sheffield. Built by Mr Wm Bradley of Selby (stone and brickwork) and Mr Bairstow of Selby (woodwork). Nave and south porch with chancel and north vestry. White brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs and coped ashlar gables with moulded kneelers and cross finials. Chamfered plinth and cill band, plus moulded eaves band. West end has a 3-light pointed arch window with panel tracery, at the right corner a square projecting bellcote with a small pointed arch and a gabled top. North nave has three 2-light pointed arch windows with panel tracery, south has 3 similar windows, plus a projecting gabled porch with a pointed arch doorway and above a trefoil window. Chancel has a single 3-light pointed arch window with panel tracery to the south, and a larger similar window to the east, with above a canopied niche. North chancel has a projecting vestry with a tall gable stack and a flat headed 2-light window. Interior. Single hammer beam roof to nave, and cross braced roof to chancel. West gallery with Gothic balustrade, supported on a single iron column. Fittings include original pews, altar, reredos, and rood cross. Later brass altar rail and elaborate side altars flanking the chancel arch.

Listing NGR: SE6476624310

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 64766 24310

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148399 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 02:59:21.

End of official listing