CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1148428

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148428 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 21:55:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby (District Authority)

Parish: Ryther cum Ossendyke

National Grid Reference: SE 55501 39409

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RYTHER CUM OSSENDYKE CHURCH LANE SE 53 NE (east side) 9/50 Church of All Saints 3.2.67 - I Church. Late Saxon or early Norman origins, with C13 nave and C14 south aisle and chancel, with restorations and rebuilding of 1773, rebuilding of chancel in 1843 and alterations and additions of 1898 including east window, bell turret and south porch. Magnesian limestone ashlar with plain tile roof. 3-bay nave and south aisle with porch, 2-bay chancel, bell turret to west end. South porch has pointed-arched opening under hood-mould. Within a double-chamfered pointed-arched doorway with renewed angle shafts with circular abaci. Y-traceried plank door. Nave, quoins, buttresses with offsets. To south side are two 2-light windows with Y-tracery. West end of aisle has a single ogee light. East end of aisle has a 3-light window with intersecting tracery. North side, has pointed arched entrance with chamfered jambs and plank door. Otherwise a 3-light window with reticulated tracery and a lancet window. West end has 2 lancet windows. Chancel: quoins. To south side a round-arched priest's entrance with imposts under hood with plank door. 2-light window with Decorated tracery. To north side a 2-light, straight-headed window. East window has 3 lights and reticulated tracery. Interior. Nave arcade of double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Stoup to right of entrance. Tub font on square base with shaped sides. Late C15 piscina to south aisle. Squint. Round chancel arch with shaped imposts. 5 stone altars bearing symbolised Wounds of Christ (now eroded) of probable Cll origin. Memorials include altar tomb to Sir Robert Ryther d1327 and his wife. Effigy of a lady with horned head dress, holding a heart in her hand. Alabaster altar tomb reputedly to Sir William Ryther d1475 with recumbent effigy and mourners to sides of tomb. C15 altar tomb with black marble top and carved sides. Tomb recess with 4-centred head and crocketed ogee gable with demi-figure of an angel in the spandrel. Set in the aisle are 2 early C17 memorial slabs to members of the Robinson family. Also remains of 2 medieval slabs, one with part of incised base of cross. Fragments of C14 glass in south aisle west and east windows. Restorations of 1773 included brick tower and porch, since demolished but illustrated in Speight, op p 77. Additions and alterations of 1898 cost £1400. Speight H, Lower Wharfedale, 1902, pp 77-83. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, pp 425-6.

Listing NGR: SE5549939408

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 326434

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 425-6
Speight, H , Lower Wharfedale, (1902), 77-83

End of official listing