THE PARSONAGE COUNTRY HOUSE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1148457

Date first listed: 10-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: THE PARSONAGE COUNTRY HOUSE HOTEL, MAIN STREET, ESCRICK, YO19 6LF

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PARSONAGE COUNTRY HOUSE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148457 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 16:10:32.

Location

Statutory Address: THE PARSONAGE COUNTRY HOUSE HOTEL, MAIN STREET, ESCRICK, YO19 6LF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby (District Authority)

Parish: Escrick

National Grid Reference: SE 62826 42982

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/01/2018

SE 64 SW 2/33 ESCRICK MAIN STREET The Parsonage Country House Hotel

(Formerly listed as The Lodge Hotel, YORK ROAD (west side)) II Vicarage now hotel 'HLS 1828' on fall pipes and '1828' on rear stack, with probable structural alterations and reroofing by F.C Penrose c1852. Pinkish-red and gault brick with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. Jacobethan.

Two storeys with attics to gables, six bays, with single storey, single bay to right. The third (entrance) bay and fifth and sixth bays project slightly and are gabled with attics; the second and fourth bays are gabled. Plinth has moulded ashlar coping. Ashlar quoins to ground floor of entrance bay. Three steps to five-long-panelled door with Gothic tracery within moulded Tudor-arched surround. Mainly single light windows and two, three and four-light mullion windows within quoined ashlar surrounds, those to ground floor mainly under hoodmoulds, some also beneath gauged brick Tudor relieving arches. Some windows to first floor have decorative ashlar panels beneath. Oriel window above entrance. First floor ashlar band. Decorative weatherboard to gables. Ridge and rear stacks in groups of three, four and six are diagonal and columnar with crenellated caps Garden facade has two single-storey canted bays with 6-light mullion and transom windows.

Interior: entrance hall has two-bay, double-chamfered, Tudor-arched arcade and similar arch leading to service end; wrought-iron Jacobethan open-well staircase, panelled ceilings. Sitting-room has two Tudor-arched recesses. Dining room has swags with fruit to frieze. Shutters to most windows. Mainly four and six-long-fielded-panel doors within panelled architraves. Shutters to most windows.

Plans and drawings in the house dated 1852 show that F.C Penrose was called in to make structural alterations and dated 1887 to produce outbuildings.

Listing NGR: SE6282642982

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 326289

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing