CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1148462

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148462 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 08:33:25.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby (District Authority)

Parish: Hemingbrough

National Grid Reference: SE 67351 30619

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEMINGBROUGH MAIN STREET SE 63 SE (west side) Church of Saint Mary the 10/50 Virgin 17.11.66 I GV

Church. Late C12 origins to nave and north transept with C13, C14 and C15 additions; late C13 chancel with C15 south chapel and upper stage to north chapel; late C13 south transept with C15 additions; late C13 tower with spire of c1416-1446. Magnesian limestone ashlar with lead roof. Cruciform on plan. Aisled 4-bay nave, chancel with 4-bay south aisle and 3-bay chapter house and vestry to north, with 2-bay north and south transepts and crossing with tower and spire. Nave: plinth, buttresses with off-sets to battlements. South aisle: porch to third bay has plinth and double- chamfered pointed arch. Cross at apex. Within a pointed plank doorway with roll-moulding under hoodmould. Head at apex supporting statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary in ogee-headed niche. Three 3-light windows with reticulated tracery, the westernmost blocked, and one window with Perpendicular tracery. 4-light window with Perpendicular tracery to west end. North aisle: blocked, round-arched baptismal doorway with moulded surround. 3-light windows, 2 straight-headed otherwise with Perpendicular tracery. 5-light, straight-headed window to west end. West end of nave has buttresses to half-height. Central pointed plank door with roll-moulded surround. 5-light window with Perpendicular tracery to head. To both sides of nave a band with gargoyles and battlements. Clerestory has 4-light, straight-headed Perpendicular windows throughout. Transept: mainly 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery some with curvilinear tracery. South- west side has 2 tall trefoiled lancets. North and south transept ends have 5-light windows with Perpendicular tracery. Embattled tower has 2-light openings with Y-tracery. Octagonal spire. Chancel; south aisle: plinth, buttresses with off-sets to each bay. 4-centred priest's doorway with hollow chamfered surround. Lamb and God the Father at apex. Eroded inscription. Angels in spandrels under hoodmould. 3-light Perpendicular windows. Battlements. North aisle: 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery and 3-trefoiled light window. To east end of north aisle: flight of steps to 4-centred entrance with 4-panel door, a C19 pointed window and a 3-stepped-light window with trefoil heads above. Easternmost bay of chancel has 2-light window with Y-tracery. East end; angle buttresses with off- sets. Late C13 light window with cusped, stepped lancet lights, the outer ones cinque-cusped. Interior: nave arcade on cylindrical piers, pointed double-chamfered arches to 2 west bays. Double-chamfered round arches with roll-moulding to east. Crossing has pointed double-chamfered arches on trefoil piers. South aisle has 4-centred arches. North aisle has 2-pointed arches on cylindrical pier and pointed arch with fluted responds. Chancel: to south side a 4-bay, 4-centred arcade on 4-column piers with decorative capitals. To north: a pointed arch. Then pointed plank door with scroll hinges and above a blocked 2-light window with Y-tracery. Arcaded tub font of c1200. Pulpit reputedly of 1717 though with probable restoration, 6- sided with blank arches. Parclose screens to north chancel aisle. Remains of cresting of Elizabethan screen now in north chapel Pevsner records 4 panels of c1520-30 with monsters in tower. Stalls with poppy-heads. Misericord with leaf trail of c1200. Bench ends have tracery patterns and one with figure of a jester. Sculpture: 4 head corbels in south transept. C15 Easter credence with 2-bay front with traceried panels. Monuments: C15 cadaver. 6 medieval grave slabs of provosts of Hemingbrough, wooden memorial tablet to Dame Lenox Pilkington d1706. Jousting helmet and gauntlets of Sir Roger Pilkington d circa 1750. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978 pp 247-9. Freeman, R. W., Saint Mary The Virgin, Hemingbrough, A Summary and Guide, 1978.



Listing NGR: SE6735830619

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 326306

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Freeman, R W, Saint Mary The Virgin Hemingbrough A Summary and Guide, (1978)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972)

End of official listing