This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

List entry Number: 1148520

Location

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Elvington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 326137

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ELVINGTON CHURCH LANE SE 74 NW (east side) 7/25 Holy Trinity Church GV II Church. 1877, by William White. Coursed sandstone with brick interior dressings and Welsh slate roof. Early C14 Gothic Revival style. North-West tower with entrance, 4-bay nave with north aisle, chancel with 5-sided apse, north vestry. Stepped 3-stage tower: plinth, quoins. To ground floor, north side a pointed plank doorway under hoodmould. Lancet windows. 4 ashlar bands. The upper stage surmounted by shingled belfry. Tent roof. Nave: north aisle, plinth. 2nd and 4th bays have 2-light, cusped windows with quatrefoils above projecting into gables. Otherwise similar small 3-light window. Band above sill level. South side: plinth. Quoins. Buttresses with offsets. Two 4 and one 2-light windows with Geometrical tracery under hoodmoulds. West end has similar 4-light window but incorporating Y-tracery. North facade: gable-ended vestry has plinth and quoins. Original drawing by White in N.M.R. dated December 15, 1874 shows slightly different design with central tower. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, 1978, p.223.

Listing NGR: SE7011447472

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 223

National Grid Reference: SE 70114 47472

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148520 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 03:15:02.

End of official listing