MONK FRYSTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1148544

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1952

Statutory Address: MONK FRYSTON HALL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MONK FRYSTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148544 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 06:27:40.

Location

Statutory Address: MONK FRYSTON HALL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby (District Authority)

Parish: Monk Fryston

National Grid Reference: SE 50616 29855

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MONK FRYSTON MAIN STREET SE 52 NW (north side) 4/46 Monk Fryston Hall

18.1.52 GV II* House, now hotel. C13 origins with additions and alterations of c1740 and 1897 and a further C20 range to left of no particular interest. For Selby Abbey, with additions of c1740 for David Hemsworth and of 1897 by Sir Ernest George ARA. Magnesian limestone with stone slate roof. L-shaped on plan with reputedly C18 wing to right with C19 extension and infill of various dates. Block of 2 storeys with attics and 4 bays to left with gable-ended projecting 2-storey single bay range to right. Left block: buttress rises to 2nd floor level. Plinth. Projecting full-height gabled outer bays. C19 entrance to 3rd bay a 4-centred doorway. Outer bays have mullion and transom windows. 6-light mullion windows to second bay. All under hoodmoulds with mostly recut chamfered surrounds and mullions, that to second bay in double-chamfered surround. First floor: outer bays have similar mullion and transom windows. To second bay a 3-light mullion window in double-chamfered surround and with chamfered mullions. To third bay a lancet window in chamfered surround. Single lights in double-chamfered surrounds to gables of bays, blocked to right. Gables have kneelers and ashlar coping. Kneeler and ashlar coping to left. Wing to right: plinth. 2-storey canted bay has 5-light mullion and transom windows to each floor in double-chamfered surround, that to ground floor under hoodmould. Blocked single light in gable. Kneelers, coping and remains of finial. C19 diagonal ridge, end and rear stacks. Mainly similar mullion and transom windows to rear. One C13 2-light mullion window in double-chamfered surround to left gable. Interior remodelled after fire of 1876. Originally the property of Selby Abbey, it was the home of the Master of Works and the Agent of the Abbot supervising quarring of stone for the Abbey.

Listing NGR: SE5061629855

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 326102

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing