This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHRIST CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1148566

Location

CHRIST CHURCH, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Westerdale

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 328063

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 60 NE WESTERDALE MAIN STREET West side

6/145 Christ Church 6/10/69

II



Church, 1838, extended and altered 1875 by W. Falkenbridge, on medieval site. Coursed squared sandstone with plinth and quoins. Graduated Lakeland slate roof with stone ridge and copings, cast iron cross finial, spike finials at nave corners.

West tower and nave with extruded South porch. Short chancel with North aisle and south porch-vestry. 1838 parts in Lancet style, chancel Geometrical.

Two-stage tower with battlemented parapet. Bands and stepped diagonal buttresses. Lancets at all levels including bell openings, those on top of lower stage very narrow. In west face a fragment of C12 arch above a segmental plaque dated 1838. Nave north and south 3 large windows with Y-tracery, alternate-block jambs and hoodmoulds. Later porch with 2-centred arch and hoodmould. Chancel has large traceried East window, smaller windows in sides.

Interior: 3 medieval grave covers and cross fragments in porch. 1838 strutted king post nave roof. Arch-braced chancel roof. Nave a plain preaching box. Good stained glass in south-east nave window, parables from Gospel of St. Matthew, signed and dated HH 1957.

Against the nave south wall, on the outside, a partly-eroded memorial slab to Jane Duck, d.1740, who gave money to the village school.



Listing NGR: NZ6648005802

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 66480 05802

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148566 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 04:02:28.

End of official listing