CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1148591

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1969

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148591 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 04:22:02.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough (District Authority)

Parish: Danby

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: NZ 68999 08114

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 6808 and NZ 60 NE DANBY CHURCH STREET Castleton

13/20 and 6/20 Church of 6/10/69 St. Michael and St. George II



Church, 1924,dated on stone at south-east corner by Leslie Moore. Rockfaced snecked brown sandstone; green slate roof. West tower, nave and south porch, chancel and north vestry. Mid C14 style.

Square, buttressed west tower with stepped-in upper stage. 2-centred- arched West doorway.

2- and 3-light bell openings under low battlemented parapet. Gabled porch. Cusped 2-light nave south windows. North nave wall has high filled arcade, as though an aisle had been planned. Chancel has Carnaervon-arched priest's door, south windows similar to nave and an east window with cusped reticulated tracery. Pent vestry with door similar to priest's door.

Another inscribed stone adds that the building of the church was inspired by the Rev. Sydney Smith, vicar 1918-28.

Interior: plaster with ashlar dressings, the arcading noted externally expressed on north wall. Good carved wood screens to chancel and tower arches. Panelled sanctuary with reredos painting of the patron saints. Enriched communion rail. Aumbry, piscina and sedilia. Hexagonal stone font. All internal detail well designed and crisply executed.

Wood plaque records grant of £150.00 from the Incorporated Church Building Society on condition that all seats should be free to parishioners and that an annual collection be taken for the benefit of the Society.

Pevsner, N. Riding p.118.

Listing NGR: NZ6899908114

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 327938

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966), 118

End of official listing