This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THRESHING BARN TO EAST OF FOREST LODGE FARMHOUSE, AND BARN ATTACHED

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THRESHING BARN TO EAST OF FOREST LODGE FARMHOUSE, AND BARN ATTACHED

List entry Number: 1148597

Location

THRESHING BARN TO EAST OF FOREST LODGE FARMHOUSE, AND BARN ATTACHED

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Danby

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 327948

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 60 NE DANBY DANBY DALE West side

6/30 Threshing barn to east of Forest Lodge Farmhouse, and barn attached GV II



Small threshing barn dated 1832 on lintel panel, with initials L.D. Taller barn attached on right dated 1863, L. Dale. Coursed, herringbone-tooled sandstone. Small barn roof pantiled, taller roof Welsh slate, both with stone copings and square kneelers. Threshing barn 1½ storeys, 3 narrow bays. Central opposed doors. Flanking slit vents; boarded pitching doors above slits. Cross formed of black tiles in roof said to be holy sign to ward off evil. Right bar 2 storeys, 2 bays. Boarded door with dated lintel, one small blocked window and a boarded loft door.

Behind the threshing barn a circular raised stone platform for open- air horse-driven threshing machine.

The threshing barn is the earliest building of a series built between 1832 and 1867 by Leonard Dale, gradually building up a complete planned farm around a handsomely-paved sloping yard.

Listing NGR: NZ6854406729

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 68544 06729

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148597 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 09:02:28.

End of official listing