CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1148616

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1990

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, HALL HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148616 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 13:16:10.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, HALL HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough (District Authority)

Parish: Roxby

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: NZ 76081 16346

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROXBY HALL HILL NZ 71 NE (north end) 2/246 Church of St Nicholas

II Parish Church. C17 on the site of an earlier church, considerably altered in 1818 and restored in early C20. Coursed plain sandstone north nave wall and lower chancel walls; upper chancel and north nave walls, south nave wall and tower coursed herring-bone - tooled sandstone. Graduated lakeland slate roof with tile ridge and stone copings. West Tower; continuous nave and chancel: chancel probably raised to nave roof level in 1818. Sloped plinth. 3-stage tower has round-arched west doorway with cut voussoirs. 2-light west window above and 2-light segment headed bell openings in 3rd stage below parapet with corner battlements. Stone steps to first-floor boarded door on south side. 2-light nave west windows flank the tower and pent extension (possibly early pent extension (possibly early C20) has a matching window. 2-bay nave has 3-light windows; chancel of one long bay with blocked round-arched priest's door and a 3-light window with round heads to lights and sunk spandrels. Nave and tower windows have round-headed lights. North wall has only one 3-light window. East window, of 5 lights with square head and ridged keystone, probably early C20. Interior: Lobby with 6-panel door to tower. 6-panel double door to church. Panelled pews, mostly lost doors. Strutted king-post roof. All these features probably 1812 as is the pulpit, although on a later C19 base. Monuments: slab with brass to Thomas Boynton, d.1523; slab to Katherine Ingram d.1666; dark limestone slab, raised on4 white marble irons, to the wife of Sir Matthew Boynton, d.1634. C13 font on modern stone plinth.

Listing NGR: NZ7608116346

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 327897

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing