FYLING HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1148676

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1954

Statutory Address: FYLING HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of FYLING HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148676 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 02:14:10.

Location

Statutory Address: FYLING HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough (District Authority)

Parish: Fylingdales

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: NZ 93685 04297

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FYLINGDALE FYLING PARK NZ 90 SW 11/89 Fyling Hall 19.2.54

- II Country villa, now a school. 1819 for John Barry. Herringbone-tooled sandstone with purple slate roof. Centre block with irregular wings. 3 storeys, 4-bays, slightly irregular. Later C19 3-bay ashlar porch: 4 pilasters enclose a 4-panel door and sidelights, all with overlights, in centre; flanking sashes, top service and parapet with carved pediment-shaped top and corner urns. 16-pane sashes in outer bays on all 3 floors. 12-pane sashes in centre and at first floor centre a round-arched stair window with key and impost blocks. Windows have extended lintels and projecting cills. The right 1 1/2-storey, 1-bay left and 1-storey 2-bay right extensions, blank but for a 16-pane sash and a flush door. [Further right extensions are not of special interest]. 6-panel door under dentil cornice, and 16-pane sash, in left extension. Main house has top cornice and parapet, corniced end chimneys. Rear (garden) front 3 storeys and basement, 3-bays. 6 wide stone steps to central 1/2-glazed door in later glazed porch. Flanking canted bays, of 2 storeys and basement, have 8-pane sashes flanking 12-pane sash on each floor, apron panels between and top cornices with blocking courses; basement openings altered. 12-pane central sashes on both upper floors; 16-pane side sashes on top floor. Left 2-bay billiard-room extension has French doors with external louvred shutters and small terrace with concrete reproduction balustrade. Interior: Drawing room has marble chimneypiece, carved with fasces and paterae, and original grate; plaster overmantel panel with relief of putti. Doors of 6 panels in reeded architraves with paterae; some pedimented overdoors with angel heads, possibly later. Elliptical hall arch; staircase with 3 turned balusters to a tread, shaped tread ends, grip handrail with spiral and curtail step on first floor. R.C.H.M. Houses of the North York Moors, 1987. P.40 and Possim.

Listing NGR: NZ9368504297

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 327738

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Houses of the North York Moors, (1987), 40

End of official listing