CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1148754

Date first listed: 07-Jul-1989

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HAWSKER LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148754 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 20:10:38.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HAWSKER LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough (District Authority)

Parish: Hawsker-cum-Stainsacre

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: NZ 92225 08374

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAWSKER-CUM-STAINSACRE HAWSKER LANE NZ 90 NW (west side) 5/143 Church of All Saints - II Church. 1876-77. By E.H.Smales. Rockfaced sandstone on chamfered plinth; ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with red ridge tiles, originally pierced. Timber framed porch. 3-bay nave and south porch; central tower; chancel, and north organ chamber and vestry. Pointed 2-light west window with quatrefoil tracery, rolled sill moulding with foliate stops, and flat impost band. Glazed slit window in gable end. Stack pierces roof pitch to left of gable apex. Gabled porch, partly glazed, partly boarded in, contains flat ogee-arched doorway beneath tympanum with date carved in relief. Two windows to east of porch are of single and triple cusped lancets. Nave north side windows are of similar lancets, two paired and one single. Buttressed tower has lancet bellopenings with scallop-edged louvres. Gabled staircase turret projects on north side behind pent vestry. Steeply hipped tower roof, with finials and cross. South side of chancel has one trefoil and one quatrefoil light, and on north side a cinquefoil. Three rectangular windows in north wall of vestry and organ chamber, and flat ogee-arched doorway in east return. East window is pointed, of three cusped lights beneath quatrefoil tracery. East gable cross. All gables coped. Interior. Two massive cusped arches beneath tower, the west one with rolled hoodmould on floral stops. Cusped and gabled timber chancel screen. Several pretty tiled wall panels and monuments, notably that to Martha McCausland (d.1893) at west end of nave. Two original brass candelabra in nave. Several windows are worthy of note: three in nave north wall, one in south, and one in tower south wall, possibly mid C19, after Alfred Rethel. East and west windows probably by Powell's. The remainder are leaded with delicately tinted glass. Arch-braced king post roof with embattled ties, and quatrefoiled spandrels. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, the North Riding, p.185.

Listing NGR: NZ9222508374

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 327619

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966), 185

End of official listing