This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GATE PIERS AND PART OF CHURCHYARD WALL TO CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GATE PIERS AND PART OF CHURCHYARD WALL TO CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1148797

Location

GATE PIERS AND PART OF CHURCHYARD WALL TO CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, COACH ROAD
GATE PIERS AND PART OF CHURCHYARD WALL TO CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, IBURNDALE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Eskdaleside cum Ugglebarnby

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 327531

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ESKDALESIDE-CUM-UGGLEBARNBY COACH ROAD NZ8606-8706 (east side), Sleights 18/59 Gate piers and part of churchyard wall to 6.10.69 Church of St.John the Evangelist GV II Churchyard gate piers and walls. Dated 1761 with C20 gates and overthrow. By Robert and Tabitha Bowers, and Gertrude Burdett. Gate piers and walls of tooled sandstone. Rusticated square-section gate piers oil alternately rectangular and cylindrical blocks; flat caps and ball finials on bell shaped pedestals. Flanking walls support foliate volutes on each side of gateway. Walls have cambered coping and are ramped up to four obelisk pinnacles. Obelisks have blind Gothick tracery to each face and tall panelled dies. South west obelisk has inscribed vertical sundials on two faces, and the inscription: R B T 1761 GB / UT UMBRA SIC VITA Walls mark the extent of the churchyard of the Eskdale Chapel built by the same patrons to replace the original Eskdale Chapel (q.v.) inconveniently sited elsewhere in the parish. C18 chapel subsequently replaced by present Church of St.John the Evangelist, of 1895.

Listing NGR: NZ8661406915

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 86614 06915

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148797 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 08:22:31.

End of official listing