WYDALE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1148800

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: WYDALE HALL, WYDALE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WYDALE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148800 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 17:29:26.

Location

Statutory Address: WYDALE HALL, WYDALE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough (District Authority)

Parish: Snainton

National Grid Reference: SE 92819 83312

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 98 SW SNAINTON WYDALE LANE (west side, off)

7/114 Wydale Hall

18.1.67

- II

House, now Diocesan conference centre. C18, but said to have C17 origins; extended and altered 1877 for the Cayley family; further extension and alteration in 1904, by Sidney Kitson, on acquisition by Mr H Illingworth. Dressed sandstone with tooled quoins and dressings; slate roofs. Irregular plan. Garden front: 3-storey, 3-window front to core building; 2-storey, projecting extension wing to right, with 2-storey, 5-window canted bay to end right; single-storey, single window extension to left. The entrance was removed in C19 to right return front of extension wing. Original central entrance to core building now blocked by canted bay with a half-hexagonal roof. To right, in re-entrant angle to extension wing, is a glazed garden door beneath a loggia of Ionic columns. 12-pane sashes to ground and first floor, and unequal 9-pane sash to second floor flanked by C20 replacement casements. Keyed raised surrounds to all windows. Parapet with recessed panels obscures roof. Extension wing: ground-floor sashes to bay window extend to ground level. Remaining windows are 12-pane sashes in raised surrounds to ground floor, and unequal 9-pane sashes to first floor. Modillion eaves cornice to bay and plain coped parapet above. Entrance front: 2-storey, 2-window projecting cross gable to left, with 2-storey, 3- window front to right. Single-storey glazed entrance lobby with Ionic portico contains panelled door beneath patterned overlight. To left, open- pedimented cross gable contains unequal 9-pane sashes to ground and first floors, and keyed oculus to tympanum. Drops of fruit carved in high relief separate windows to both floors. Sill and lintel bands to both floors, and fasciated keystone to ground-floor centre window. Raked modillion cornice to pediment. Interior: traces of the C18 building survive only in the panelled shutters intact in ground-floor front window to right of original entrance and to all 3 first-floor front windows. The ceilings of all the main ground-floor rooms incorporate extensive plasterwork taken from original Robert Adams moulds and introduced during the 1904 works. The 3 ground-floor rooms in the 1877 and 1904 extensions also contain C18 fireplaces and overmantels with enriched surrounds, 2 with integral paintings.

Listing NGR: SE9281983312

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 327434

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing