BRANSDALE MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149038

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: BRANSDALE MILL, HODGE BECK

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRANSDALE MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149038 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 08:19:14.

Location

Statutory Address: BRANSDALE MILL, HODGE BECK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Bransdale

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: SE 62055 97924

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRANSDALE HODGE BECK SE 69 NW (east side) 3/24 Bransdale Mill GV II Cornmill. C18; extended 1817; partly rebuilt 1842 (on datestone); restored C20. Extension and rebuilding by William Strickland. Herringbone-tooled sandstone with pantile roof. 2-storey and attic, single-window front, with single-storey and attic extension to left. Round-arched doorways of voussoirs flank 16-pane sash to ground floor of mill; similar window to centre of first floor. 2 small shuttered openings to attic. Windows have stone sills and heavy tooled lintels. Lintel to first-floor window is inscribed: "REBUILT 1842", and is flanked by tie rod ends shaped to form the initials W and S. Coped gables and coved cornice stack to end left. Extension has board door with unequal 12-pane replacement sash to left and shuttered window to right. Small shuttered opening to attic. Shaped sill to left window probably a reused lintel. Rear: 2 storey, and attic, 3-bay front, built against the hillside. Central round-arched opening of tooled voussoirs to first floor. Shuttered openings to attic. Water from millpond entered wheel chamber through small opening to right of first-floor opening Powered grindstone installed at rear of mill in late C19 survives. Gable wall to extension: datestone inscribed: WS 1817. Interior: wheelchamber to left reuses C18 wheel pit. Surviving cast-iron machinery comprises an overshot water-wheel with iron buckets, pitwheel, wallower, spur wheel and crown wheel. 3 stone nuts with wooden teeth and 3 sets of mill stones (without furniture). Banded French stones made by GEORGE MARIS of HULL in 1842; greystones inscribed "HS NIS 1870"; bluestones not inscribed. Square section main shaft and hexagonal sack hoist shaft. In mill extension, wooden framework for an oat crushing mill with one pair of stones and a sifter. Corn was ground at Bransdale Mill until 1917; grist was ground until 1953. Mill under restoration by The National Trust at time of resurvey.

Listing NGR: SE6205597924

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 328858

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing