CHURCH OF SAINT MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1149059

Date first listed: 10-Oct-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149059 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 11:58:52.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Westow

National Grid Reference: SE 75931 66053

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTOW CHURCH LANE SE 76 NE (north end)

2/110 Church of Saint Mary 10.10.66 - II*

Church. C15 tower with nave and chancel of 1864 by Mallinson and Healey. Limestone rubble and ashlar. Westmorland slate. Victorian section in Geometric style. West tower, 4-bay nave, 2 bay chancel with vestry to north. Tower: diagonal buttresses flank blocked west door with crude hood- mould. 3 C19 stepped cinquefoil-headed lights in original C15 frame, with small square-headed chamfered window above. String course. 2-light belfry windows to each face. Embattled parapet. South porch: double door beneath massive concrete lintel with triangular overlight. Nave: 2-light pointed windows. Chancel: to south a priests' door with lancet to left and 2-light pointed window to right; to north, vestry with 2-light square-headed window. East end: 3-light pointed window. Interior: small C12 panel showing Crucifixion incorporated into memorial to former incumbent in west wall of nave. Saxon cross head in north-west corner of nave. Norman tub font with cable moulding. Chancel contains black marble memorial to George Montaigne, died 1669. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and the East Riding, 1972.

Listing NGR: SE7593166053

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 328814

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972)

End of official listing