COWL HOUSE AND OUTBUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149071

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: COWL HOUSE AND OUTBUILDINGS

Map

Ordnance survey map of COWL HOUSE AND OUTBUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149071 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 08:18:08.

Location

Statutory Address: COWL HOUSE AND OUTBUILDINGS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Bransdale

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: SE 61604 96726

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRANSDALE BRANSDALE SE 69 NW (west side) 3/5 Cowl House and attached outbuildings GV II House and attached barn, loose boxes and stables. 1745 on datestone, with early C19 extensions; house raised and remodelled c1830. For William Garbutt. House of hammer-dressed sandstone, partly on rubble footings, extension of herringbone-tooled sandstone; outbuildings of tooled and squared sandstone. Pantile roofs. House originally central-entry plan, later extended to left to link with detached barn; range of loose boxes and stables added to right. 2-storey, 3-window house front, with 2-storey, single-window extension to left; 1½ storey barn further to left, on rising ground; l½-storey range to right. Renewed 4-panel door beneath divided overlight to house, in chamfered openings with flush quoins; chamfered lintel inscribed "WG:1745" above. Windows are large pane horizontal sliding sashes with stone sills, 3-light to ground floor and 2-light to first floor. Blocked fire window to end left. Jambs of ground-floor openings exhibit traces of chevron tooling; window lintels are vertically-tooled replacements. Extension has 2 board doors with 2-light, large-pane horizontal sliding sash to centre and similar window above, both with stone sills. Tooled wedge lintels to ground-floor openings. Portions of earlier diagonally-tooled lintels reused in masonry to left. Coped gable and shaped kneeler to right. End stacks to house and centre stack to extension, all with coved caps. Barn: board door with roughly tooled lintel, flanked by ventilation slits; pitching hole to first floor right. Coped gable and kneeler to left. Range to right: 3 doorways, one now blocked by 6-pane pivoting window, one with replacement stable door, all with roughly-tooled lintels. Square pitching hole with shutter to right. Interior of house. Ground floor, room to left: chamfered beam and joists, the beam with run-out stops. Stone chimney-piece with plain jambs, coved imposts, flat lintel and fine moulded dentilled timber shelf. Extension: first-floor room has fireplaces with plain stone surround and shelf, with round-arch basket grate. Interior of barn: one upper cruck truss with crossed apex survives to left of door.

Listing NGR: SE6160496726

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 328842

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing