CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149090

Date first listed: 10-Oct-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149090 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 21:29:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Langton

National Grid Reference: SE 79664 67065

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANGTON THE GREEN SE 76 NE (south side) 2/82 Church of Saint Andrew 10.10.66 GV II

Church. 1822 re-using some medieval fabric. Sandstone ashlar, stone slate roof. West tower, 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. 3-stage tower divided by bands. Board door beneath depressed 2-centred arch with 2-light quatrefoiled window above. Pointed single-light belfry windows. Embattled parapet. Nave: 2-light windows with quartrefoil tracery to south; square- headed windows with 2 cinquefoil lights to north. Chancel: 2-light Y- tracery windows to south, 3-light window in Perpendicular style to east. Interior: C13 rectangular font with blind trefoil panelling and some nailhead. C17 wooden panelling to wall around front and to chancel. Monuments: Mary Ingram, wife of Thomas Ingram of Temple Newsam, died 1656. Tomb chest with recumbent effigy flanked by columns with acanthus capitals and looped draperies. 2 angels guard 2 infants in swaddling clothes and support inscription to rear. Cartouche and 2 obelisks supported on entablature. Thomas Norcliffe, died 1822: white marble tablet on grey marble with sarcophagus and achievement of arms above. Signed by M Taylor of York. Decima Hester Norcliffe, died 1828: bas-relief marble sarcophagus with achievement of arms below. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and the East Riding, 1972.



Listing NGR: SE7966467065

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 328786

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972)

End of official listing