CHURCH OF SAINT MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149110

Date first listed: 10-Oct-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, THE PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149110 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 19:21:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, THE PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Birdsall

National Grid Reference: SE 81829 65392

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIRDSALL THE PARK SE 86 NW 3/30 Church of Saint Mary l0.10.66 GV II

Church. 1820's by Watson and Pritchett. Chancel and top stage of tower 1879-81 by Hodgson Fowler. For the Willoughby family, the Lords Middleton. Limestone ashlar. West tower, 3-bay nave with boiler house to north, 2-bay chancel with organ chamber to north. Gothic Revival. West tower: 3 stages, with diagonal stepped buttresses. First stage: 2-light double-transomed pointed window with blind panels holding shields to central section to west. Semi-octagonal stair turret to north. Pointed doorway with crocketed hood- mould and lead bas-relief of 2 figures flanking Middleton arms above to south. Second stage: 2 moulded string courses, the second carrying lancet window, to each face. Third stage: 3-light double transomed belfry openings to each face. Openwork parapet with finials to octagonal angle turrets. Nave: string course carries 3-light windows in Decorated style, with bays divided by stepped buttresses surmounted by finials. Priests' door to eastern bay on south side. Boiler house with pointed doorway to eastern bay on north side. Chancel: 3-light Perpendicular windows to south with empty tomb recess to eastern bay. Vestry to north: steps to pointed doorway with square-headed 2-light window to right. East end: 5-light Perpendicular window with door to crypt below flanked by empty tomb recesses. Interior: 2 black marble monuments on west wall to Henry Southeby, died 1662, and Anne Southeby, died 1688. North wall: monument to Thomas Southeby, died 1729. Memorial plaque flanked by termini and surmounted by pedestal and urn. Signed by Rysbrack. South wall: monument to Sixth Lord Middleton by Sir Richard Westmacott. White marble with figure of kneeling woman. Chancel: C14 recumbent figure of a lady, with kneeling figure on either side, and the soul, as a bird, ascending to heaven, above head. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and the East Riding, 1972. York Georgian Society Annual Report 1975.

Listing NGR: SE8182965392

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 328733

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972)
'Annual Report' in Annual Report, (1975)

End of official listing