This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SANDBURN CROSS IN GROUNDS OF SANDBURN HOUSE APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES NORTH OF THE TANGLEWOOD INN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SANDBURN CROSS IN GROUNDS OF SANDBURN HOUSE APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES NORTH OF THE TANGLEWOOD INN

List entry Number: 1149135

Location

SANDBURN CROSS IN GROUNDS OF SANDBURN HOUSE APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES NORTH OF THE TANGLEWOOD INN, A64

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Stockton-on-the-Forest

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 328688

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 65 NE STOCKTON-ON-THE-FOREST A 64 (north-west side)

3/32 Sandburn Cross in grounds of Sandburn House approximately 100 metres 29.1.53 north of the Tanglewood Inn

II

Boundary marker. 1677 inscription, possibly on an earlier cross shaft. Limestone. Square-section base approximately one metre square and 0.25 metres in height, supporting a square-section shaft approximately 0.50 metres square and 1.50 metres in height. Inscriptions to each face. To south: Ebor Monkward Stray. Mat Walls. Jo Blackburn. John Beforth. Edgoforth. Pasture Masters 1677. To east: This cross repaired in the year 1782 by Wm Bamburgh, John Dale, Jos Gorwood, Ricd Pearson. Pasture Masters. To west: This cross was blown down by the great wind on the 7th of January 1839 and replaced by her Grace the Duchess of Sutherland 1840. To north: Restored by John Hetherton in 1912. The ashes of John Hetherton who died Feb 14th 1937 aged 74 years lie around this stone.

Listing NGR: SE6695758581

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 66957 58581

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149135 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 08:08:06.

End of official listing