WELBURN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149212

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1985

Statutory Address: WELBURN HALL, BACK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WELBURN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149212 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 23:04:52.

Location

Statutory Address: WELBURN HALL, BACK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Welburn

National Grid Reference: SE 68188 84649

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 68 SE WELBURN BACK LANE (north-east side, off)

4/93 Welburn Hall

- II

Country house, now school. 1890-1893, by Walter Brierley, for Miss E. Clarke; incorporating east wing of c.1610, for Sir John Gibson; extended 1895, by Walter Brierley, for Mr. J. Shaw; partly rebuilt after a fire in 1932 by E. Priestley. C17 wing of dressed sandstone; remainder sandstone ashlar; slate roof. C19 main range with crosswing to right; C17 crosswing to left, with two parallel C19 ranges beyond. 2-storey and attic on chamfered plinth; 3-storey porch; 2-storey extension ranges. Asymetrical. Central projecting porch contains panelled double doors with carved spandrels under segmental arch with grooved, splayed reveals. A moulded string course runs across the front, stepped above the doorway. Similar band at attic level below a plain, coped parapet. Irregular fenestration. Mullion and transom windows throughout. C17 crosswing to left : Partly rebuilt after 1931 fire. The 5-light mullion and transom lst-flour window under a flat dripmould survives, together with a 4-light mullion and transon window to left. Further similar windows survive over looking the court enclosed by the C19 extension ranges to left, and in the round floor of the garden end of the wing. The gable end on the garden side contains original 2-storey canted and castellated bay with 12-light lst-floor mullion and double transoms window. All C17 mullions and transoms are ovolo-moulded. A moulded string course runs across the tops of windows on the green side, breaking forward over carved brackets on each side of windows. A round-heated doorway survives in the angle of the crosswing and the garden front with moulded jambs, imposts, and a dropped keyblock carved with a mask and leaves. Rest of garden front largely rebuilt to modified design after 1931 fire. Interior: reset C17 chimney piece in the entrance hall. Tudor- arched fireplace in a carved surround of fluted pilasters on pedestals strapwork - carved frieze and mantle shelf on leaf-carved brackets. Overmantel of three equal panels surmounted by two horizontal bands, Bill of strapwork, toppedd by a projecting cornice. Reference: Charles Carus, Walter Brierley, unpublished thesis for the Institute of Advancd Architectural Studies, University of York; 1973.

Listing NGR: SE6818884649

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 328453

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Carus, C, Walter Henry Brierley 1862-1926

End of official listing