THE BLACK SWAN INN AND MAWS STORES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149238

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Jun-1985

Statutory Address: THE BLACK SWAN INN AND MAWS STORES, 11 AND 13, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BLACK SWAN INN AND MAWS STORES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149238 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 23:09:41.

Location

Statutory Address: THE BLACK SWAN INN AND MAWS STORES, 11 AND 13, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Kirkbymoorside

National Grid Reference: SE 69676 86514

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 6886-6986 KIRKBYMOORSIDE MARKET PLACE (west side)

6/58 Nos 11 and 13 (The Black 1/7/55 Swan Inn) and 15(Maws Stores) (formerly listed as Black Swan Hotel)

GV II



Inn, now inn and shop. Dated on porch lintel: 'ANO DOM 1632 OCTOBER XI WILLIAM WOOD'; extended in C18; subdivided late C19. Timber frame clad in coursed Limestone, now whitewashed; brick and sandstone extensions; pantile roof; brick stacks. Originally 2-cell, through-passage plan, with rear wing to left; later extensions to left and right and to rear right. 2 storey with central, projecting, gabled, porch, and 4 first floor windows. Raised quoins to right. Porch has 4 carved posts supporting a first floor room with a continuous band of round-headed windows under plain bargeboards Present entrance to inn to centre of left part. C19/C20 openings to ground floor. To right of porch is the double-fronted shop window. Fenestration to first floor is irregular, with a 5-light horizontal sliding sash under an original timber lintel to left of porch, and 4-pane sashes to right. Coped gables, and one end right and one centre stacks. Interior: timber framing to the rear and sides of the original 2-cell building survives within later stone walls. Original 5-bay, king-post roof framing also survives. In the inn bar to the right is a complete fireplace with heck, bressumer and spice cupboard. R Hayes and J Rutter, (Cruck-framed Buildings in Ryedale and Eskdale, p 64.

Listing NGR: SE6966886512

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 328416

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hayes, R, Rutter, J, Cruck Framed Buildings in Ryedale and Eskdale, (1966), 64

End of official listing