CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1149266

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Jun-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, VILLAGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149266 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 10:03:48.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, VILLAGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Edstone

National Grid Reference: SE 70551 84005

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 78 SW GREAT EDSTONE VILLAGE STREET (north side)

5/25 Church of St Michael

14/7/55 GV II*

Church. C13 with C18 and C19 additions and alterations. Coursed limestone rubble; slate roof; timber bellcote. Single cell nave and chancel; west bellcote; south entrance lobby. South doorway of voussoirs and pointed cavetto-moulded drip moulding springing from imposts. Anglo-Danish sundial inserted over doorway (cf St Gregory's Minster, Kirkdale, qv). Lancet window and paired lancets in restored surround to right of doorway. 2 round-headed cross-windows of C18 date in raised surrounds, to chancel. Single lancet in west end, extensively restored. In the north wall is a blocked doorway with a pointed moulded arch springing from imposts. One round-headed cross-window to chancel. Round-headed cross-window has imposts and a keystone. Square bellcote with pyramidal roof has round-headed louvred bell openings. Interior: C16 altar rails. Norman font with arcade carving to base. The bells are thought to be C14. All windows are deeply splayed internally, and there is good C19 stained glass in the west lancet. The inscription on the sundial reads: 'Orologicum viatorium. Lodan me wrohte a.' Victoria County History, vol II, pl 122; Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, vol XIX, p 329.

Listing NGR: SE7055184005

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 328382

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914)
'Yorkshire Archaeological Journal' in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 19, (1907), 329

End of official listing