CANONS GARTH AND DOORWAY AND WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1149306

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Mar-1985

Statutory Address: CANONS GARTH AND DOORWAY AND WALLS, CANONS GARTH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CANONS GARTH AND DOORWAY AND WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149306 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 03:02:41.

Location

Statutory Address: CANONS GARTH AND DOORWAY AND WALLS, CANONS GARTH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Helmsley

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: SE 61224 83923

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 6083-6183 HELMSLEY CANONS' GARTH LANE (east side) 10/45 Canons' Garth and doorway and walls 4.1.55 (Formerly listed under Church Street) - II*

House. Late C14 with C17 and late C19 additions and restoration and C20 restoration. Timber framing, sandstone rubble, plain tiles, stone tiles, stone stacks. C14 hall with evidence of former aisle to rear, with C17 cross wing to left, lean-to extension to extreme left and 1889 cross wing with extension to right. Former cross passage in left-hand wing replaced by C17 central porch entry rebuilt in 1975. Ground floor and hall underbuilt in stone with close studded timber framing to all gables and first floor of wings and porch. C19 casement windows throughout. Steeply pitched roof with gable to left encroached upon by later cross wing. Stacks to left and at rear of left-hand cross wing, right-hand ridge stack to hall and on extreme right-hand extension. Interior: hall fireplace with massive bressumer and 9 studs above backed on to by second fireplace now in 1889 chapel. Possible salt box in stone wall in passage. C17 inserted ceiling in hall with step chamfered cross beam. Medieval floor tiles from Rievaulx Abbey on floor of 1889 Chapel. C16 moulded stone fireplace from Helmsley Castle in 1889 study. Complex C14 roof structure to hall with double tie beam, crown post and multiple struts. Doorway and walls to front of property. Mc Donnell (ed), History of Helmsley, Rievaulx and District, 1963; 'North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report', No 24.

Listing NGR: SE6122483923

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 328271

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
McDonnell, J, A History of Helmsley Rievaulx and District, (1963)
'North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report' in North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report, , Vol. 24, ()

End of official listing