CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1149308

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149308 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 03:31:46.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Helmsley

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: SE 61184 83871

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 6183 HELMSLEY CHURCH STREET (east side) 10/51 Church of All Saints 4.1 .55 II* Church. 1866-9 incorporating C12, C13 and C14 features from earlier church on same site. By Banks and Barry. Sandstone ashlar, stone slate roof. C19 rebuilding in Gothic Revival style. West tower, 4-bay nave, with north aisle, south porch, transepts, 2-bay chancel, vestry to north of chancel. West tower of 3 stages with C13 fabric surviving to second stage within C19 rebuild. C13 paired lancets with headstops to west and north faces at second stage. All other windows 1866-9, paired lancets below and paired round-headed belfry windows. Octagonal corner turrets with pyramidal roofs on plain parapet. Nave in Transitional style. Paired round-headed windows. Corbel table with beakheads and abstract designs. South porch has round arch with roll-mouldings on shafted responds. C12 south door of 4 orders with chevron moulding on scalloped and volute capitals with replaced shafts. North aisle has Cl9 windows with Reticulated tracery. North transept has C19 west window with Reticulated tracery, and pair of round-headed north windows below a large circular window with 8 roundels around an octagon. Corbel table. South transept has plain round-headed windows to east and west and group of 3 round-headed windows to south. Corbel table. Chancel has round- headed windows with group of 3 stepped lancets to east. Vestry has quatrefoil window to north and large chimney to east. Interior: C13 tower arch of 3 orders with fillets on filletted responds with plain capitals. C13 north arcade of 2 orders on C19 quadripartite shafts with early C13 foliated volute capitals. Respond capitals are C19. North aisle has mural of 1909 designed by C N Gray and executed by Gast. Design of lean-to ceiling painting by Temple Moore. C15 piscina in south wall of aisle. South transept has early C20 mural depicting 'The Mission of St Aidan'. C12 chancel arch of 3 orders with beads, chevrons and beakheads on volute interlace and zigzag capitals. Furnishings: very worn C15 brass to knight and his wife in tower. ClO hogback with coarse interlace in south porch. Pevsner, Yorkshire: the North Riding, 1966. Williams, Rievaulx Abbey and the Helmsley District, n.d.

Listing NGR: SE6118483871

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 328277

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966)
Williams, , Rievaulx Abbey and the Helmsley Districy

End of official listing