This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SOUTH WEST BLOCK OF RIPON GRAMMAR SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SOUTH WEST BLOCK OF RIPON GRAMMAR SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1149381

Location

SOUTH WEST BLOCK OF RIPON GRAMMAR SCHOOL, CLOTHERHOLMNE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ripon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 330028

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for: SE 3071 RIPON CLOTHERHOLME ROAD 2/218 (north side)

South-west Block of Ripon Grammar School

II The description shall be amended to read:

Private school, now grammar school. 1827 with later alterations, additions of c1878 and 1888 by George Corson. Pink brick with brick and. stone dressings, hipped slate roof. Two storeys on basement, original U-plan with later addition to east corner. Front range of original school has schoolmaster's house of 5 bays by 5 bays, elevations on 3 side with 6 bay wings to rear at either corner. Plinth with stone copings. House has central unusual and extremely 'pure' Greek Doric temple front acting as porch, in which not only do the columns have no bases, but also the triglyphs extend backwards as stone joists, leaving empty spaces where there are normally metopes, thus illustrating the supposed primitive origins of these forms. Pedimented top. Flanking tall 12-pane sashes with ashlar aprons. 5 similar smaller sashes above on ashlar sill band. All windows below flat brick arches. Wooden bracketed eaves. Hipped roof. Brick ridge stacks, gabled roof dormers. Side elevations similar, except 2 basement windows to either side, some windows are dummy. Rear wings have irregular fenestration of sashes. Late C19 Gothic revival style extension in red brick to east with impressive pyramidal roofed tower. Interior of original block has cantilevered stone staircase with iron balustrade, one original fireplace to left hand front room and triglyphed frieze to entrance hall. History: the school was commissioned by Mrs Elizabeth Sophia Lawrence (1761-1844) of Studley Royal and was designed as a private school. It became a grammar school 1874-1879.

------------------------------------

SE 3071 RIPON CLOTHERHOLME ROAD (north side) 2/218 South-West Block of Ripon Grammar School

II

Circa 1870. Pink brick. Hipped slate roof. Two storeys. Wooden bracketed eaves. Continuous first floor sill. Five bays: sashes with glazing bars. Unusual and extremely "pure" Greek Doric temple front acting as porch, in which not only do the columns have no bases, but also the triglyphs are extended backward as stone joists, leaving empty spaces where there are normally metopes, and thus illustrating the supposed primitive origins of these forms.

Late C19 Gothick extension in red brick to the east, with an impressive pyramidal- roofed tower.

History. The present Grammar School may have its origins in the school attached to the mediaeval college, but this was dissolved at the Dissolution of the Chantries in 1547. The school was re-founded in 1555 on a site in High St Agnes Gate, just south of the parish church (as it was at the time), and was thus independent of the college when this was re-founded in 1604. It moved to its present site circa 1870.

Listing NGR: SE3020971578

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 30209 71578

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149381 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 11:00:55.

End of official listing