MINSTER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1149408

Date first listed: 27-May-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Mar-1984

Statutory Address: MINSTER HOUSE, BEDERN BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of MINSTER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149408 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 14:53:12.

Location

Statutory Address: MINSTER HOUSE, BEDERN BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Ripon

National Grid Reference: SE 31403 71072

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 3171 RIPON BEDERN BANK 1/3 (east side) 27.5.49 Minster House [formerly GV listed as the Hall (Bedern Bank)]

II*

Early C18 (marked on Thomas Parker's plan in Thomas Gent's "History ... of Ripon", 1733). Red brick. Ashlar quoins. Two storeys. Parapet. Band. South front of 7 bays, west front of 5 bays, and east front with 2 slightly projecting bays: sashes with glazing bars and moulded sills. Central south doorway with broken stone pediment enclosing shield of arms of the Oxley family, its C19 proprietors.

Interior has a very fine staircase, round 3 sides of a large oblong stair well with moulded plaster ceiling and modillioned cornice. Three balusters per tread, one turned, one spiral fluted and one a double spiral. Spiral curtail with fluted newel. Fielded panels under each tread. Fielded panelling to dado height, ramped upwards to fluted columnar muntins. Semi-circular arches to hall and to landing above, latter (and its neighbours) flanked by fluted lower half-column taking full entablature.

Hall has 4 doorcases with moulded architraves and pediments. All rooms panelled, some fielded, some bolection, one room with giant fluted pilasters. Contemporary chimney- places, 2 flanked by giant fluted Corinthian columns taking full and enriched entablatures. One room has re-used C16/C17 wainscotting, supposed to come from Markington Hall. One room "wainscotted" with a particularly fine Victorian scrap screen.

History. Minster House stands on or near the site of the Bedern, the domestic accommodation of the College of Vicars. Vicars were appointed from 1303, both to serve the Collegiate Church in the absence of the Prebendaries, and, as the Collegiate Church was also a parish church, to perform parochial duties, most of the Prebendaries being non-resident. The Vicars were established in their own College in 1414, dissolved in 1547. Archbishop Sandys (1576-88) attempted unsuccessfully to use the Bedern for the establishment of a Theological College. It is not known who built Minster House, but, although it has been the Deanery since 1945, for the previous 100 years it was in private hands.

Listing NGR: SE3140271073

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 329989

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing