HOSPITAL OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149415

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1984

Statutory Address: HOSPITAL OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, 94-99, BONDGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOSPITAL OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149415 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 04:08:36.

Location

Statutory Address: HOSPITAL OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, 94-99, BONDGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Ripon

National Grid Reference: SE 31402 70909

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 3170 RIPON BONDGATE 5/211 (east side) Nos 94 to 99 (consec) (Hospital of St John the Baptist)

II

1878. Brown brick, with red brick strings and black brick voissoirs. Timber-framed gable ends. Tile roofs. One storey. Three gabled projections; 2 end ones with one casement each and half-hipped roofed porches in angles, with cusped arcaded timber sides; central projection has 2 similar porches, side by side. Remainder has 4 pairs of arched sashes. Doors with 4 panels and diagonal boarding, in segment-headed openings.

History. For the history of the Hospital as an institution see Chapel of St John the Baptist, Bondgate (qv).

The Hospital building is first mentioned in the Valor Ecclesiasticus (1535), where it is said to consist of a house with a close attached. The Charity Commissioners Report of 1820 found a small one-storeyed house on Bondgate, with accommodation for 2 sisters. In 1878 this was replaced by the present building.

Listing NGR: SE3140270909

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330010

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing