GROVE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1149433
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1975
Statutory Address:
GROVE HOUSE, SKIPTON ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149433.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2021 at 05:01:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROVE HOUSE, SKIPTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Harrogate (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30716 56290

Details

1. 5338 SKIPTON ROAD Grove House SE 3056 7/169

1I*

2. Circa 1745-54 built as World's End Inn, wings added circa 1897-1902. 3 storeys, 5 window centre with dormers and 2 storeys, 5 window wing additions. Hipped slated roofs with battlemented parapets. Coursed, squared grit stone rubble with long and short dressings to quoins of centre block. Cornices. Continuous plain 1st floor band. Recessed sash windows with bays and glazing bars; outer bays of west wing with splayed bay windows. Stone porte cochere of circa 1896 with arched entrances, and battlemented parapet with heraldic lions on corners; doorway with block dressings and bays. 4 storey tower attached to east wing with battlemented parapet with machicolations. Interesting interior with former picture gallery in east wing and billiard room extension at rear; hearth in west wing with elaborate stone open fireplace with mantlepiece carried by caryatids, balustraded staircase and gallery, sand stained glass window showing various trades and industries.

Listing NGR: SE3071656290

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
329953
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/05797/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Prof. W J Hume. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].