This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ROYAL PUMP ROOM MUSEUM

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROYAL PUMP ROOM MUSEUM

List entry Number: 1149478

Location

ROYAL PUMP ROOM MUSEUM, CROWN PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 329862

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



1. 5338 CROWN PLACE (West side ) Royal Pump Room Museum SM 2955 SE 12/29 18.7.49. II* GV 2. Circa 1842 by Isaac T Shutt on the site of sulphur springs described by Edmund Deane in 1626. The Old sulphur Well is incorporated in the basement of the present building; the previous domed cover of 1807-8. of the well was removed to the Tewit Well (qv). Rear addition (The Annexe) added circa 1913 by Leonard Clark. The building became a museum in 1953, Irregular octagonal plan with 4 projecting side bays with Corinthian pilasters on quoins carrying entablature and blocking course. Octagonal ogee dome with copper tiles replacing the original leaded roof and central lantern. Grit stone ashlar with pediments to projections which have sash windows with panelled surrounds, pediment, channelled aprons and glazing bars. Recessed faces have inscribed panel l'ABX CEIEB.RIB FONTIBUS) over a doorway with segmental pediment on console brackets; 1½ glazed door with margin lights. Annexe with pilasters carrying entablature; large windows; roof with copper fishtail dormer. In basement C18 stone well-head of Old Sulphur Well in situ, with original marble basin, arched openings and tented cover. Ground floor interior of 1842. Pump Room with Corinthian pilasters carrying entablature. Some original thermal fittings and counters preserved. Betty Lupton 'Queen of the Wells' worked here as a well-woman in the earlier C19.

The Crown Hotel forms a group with Nos 1 to 3 (consec) and the Royal Pump Room Museum.

Listing NGR: SE2981455374

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 29814 55374

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149478 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 04:17:36.

End of official listing