This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MALTON STATION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MALTON STATION

List entry Number: 1149543

Location

MALTON STATION, NORTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Norton-on-Derwent

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 329717

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 77 SE NORTON-ON-DERWENT NORTON ROAD (south side) 2/34 Malton Station 19/3/86 II Railway station with station house and ancillary buildings attached. 1845 with alterations of 1867; roof extended 1883 and ticket office and parcels office added c1890; further alterations c1890 and in C20. By G T Andrews for York and North Midland Railway; alterations of 1890 by William Bell. Dressed sandstone on plinth, with tooled sandstone dressings; alteration in tooled sandstone; 1883 extension in red brick; slate and glazed roofs; brick and stone stacks. Entrance range with trainshed behind. Single storey, 7- bay main range with 2-storey, 2 and 3 window pavilions at each end; one and 2 storey range further to left; extension wall of 1883 at end left. Main range: sliding panelled double doors to left of centre with divided overlight beneath segmental arch of stepped voussoirs. To left, extension of c1890 with two 12-pane sashes with flat arches. To right of entrance, later inserted shop front. Three 12-pane sashes further to right, 2 in altered openings with lintels, one with original flat arch. Pitched roof to main range with hipped roof to extension. Station-house to right: door-case of pilasters and entablature contains part-glazed door beneath bordered overlight. Canted bay to right with overhanging roof on shaped brackets. Two 12-pane sashes with painted stone sills to first floor. Ground-floor sill band and raised first-floor band. Cavetto-moulded timber eaves cornice beneath overhanging eaves on shaped brackets. Stacks rise through hipped roof. Right return front of 3 bays repeats features of entrance front. Refreshment rooms to left: door-case of pilasters and entablature contains 4-panel door beneath bordered overlight. 12-pane sashes with flat arches to ground floor, and 2 similar windows to first floor on either side of blocked centre opening. Remaining features repeat those of the station-house. Range to left: centre doorway with unaltered buildings to left. Remainder has been raised to left of the refreshment rooms and an extension added to right of doorway. Hipped roof to each building. Original iron water tank visible to rear. Left return wall: semicircular arched opening of voussoirs to former Footwarmer Room. Rear: 8 arches, segmental at each end, elliptical between, with keystones and hood-moulds, and plain pilasters between. The wall was pierced in 1867 to accommodate an up-platform, removed in 1911. Interior. Roofs: hipped shed roof of iron trusses of 3 vertical struts and 4 diagonal braces. Glazed extension roofs are transverse and raised on cast-iron Composite columns with decorative spandrels. Refreshment rooms: fittings of c1900 survive including panelled counter and bar with shelving and bevelled glass, and 2 chimneypieces. Ticket windows: 3 windows of c1890 survive behind C20 alterations. Victorian letter box inset in pier to left of refreshment rooms. Windscreen of 1867 at end of platform.

Listing NGR: SE7868471352

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 78684 71352

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149543 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 06:14:54.

End of official listing