CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1149549
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
05-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN, MAIN STREET, YO18 7PP

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149549.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 11:28:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN, MAIN STREET, YO18 7PP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Ryedale (District Authority)
Parish:
Allerston
National Grid Reference:
SE 87829 82912

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/10/2016

----------------------------------------

In the entry for

SE 88 SE, 10/7 (8/5)

ALLERSTON, MAIN STREET (east side), Church of St John

(Formerly listed as: ALLERSTON, VILLAGE STREET (east side, off), Church of Saint Mary)

(Previously Listed as Church of St Johns)

10.1.53

GV

II*

In the descriptive notes the words "3-stage buttress has recessed pointed embattled tower with door beneath hood-mould to diagonal west", shall be amended to read: "3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses and recessed pointed door beneath hood- mould to western elevation". In the following sentence of the above descriptive notes the words "bearing the emblems of the Hospitallers and the Hastings family" shall be amended to read: "bearing the traces of emblems of the Hospitallers and the Hastings family".

------------------------------------

SE 88 SE, 10/7 (8/5)

ALLERSTON, MAIN STREET (east side), Church of St John

(Formerly listed as: ALLERSTON, VILLAGE STREET (east side, off), Church of Saint Mary)

(Previously Listed as Church of St Johns)

10.1.53

GV

II*

Church. C14 nave, porch and chancel; early C15 tower. Chancel restored 1870; nave, porch and tower re-roofed and partly rebuilt 1881-3. Coursed sandstone on plinth with quoins; slate roof. West tower; 7 bay continuous nave and chancel. 3-stage buttress has recessed pointed embattled tower with door beneath hood-mould to diagonal west. 3-light window with panel tracery and stopped pointed hood-mould above, the stops carved as shields bearing the emblems of the Hospitallers and the Hastings family. 2-light transomed bell openings with louvres beneath stopped pointed hood-moulds to each face. Parapet, carved with a band of blind tracery, is supported by a corbel table carved with a variety of motifs. Coped, gabled porch has a pointed opening surmounted by a reset foliate cross and contains a pointed chamfered doorway with a pointed piscina to its right. 2-light pointed windows with quatrefoils in the heads to nave and chancel. Ogee-arched priest's door to chancel. On the north side are two 2-light windows similar to those on the south, and one 3-light flat-headed window, all reset. Blocked round-arched north door. The east window is of 3 lights with reticulated tracery. Cavetto moulded eaves cornice. coped gable surmounted by cross. Several fragments of carved stone have been reset in the north and south walls. Interior: the pointed tower arch of two chamfered orders springs from moulded corbels. C15 octagonal font on cylindrical pedestal. Piscinae in south wall of nave and chancel.

Listing NGR: SE8782982912

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
329626
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10692/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Robson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].