THE OLD ABBEY AND ATTACHED FARMBUILDING

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1149556

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: THE OLD ABBEY AND ATTACHED FARMBUILDING, B1258

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD ABBEY AND ATTACHED FARMBUILDING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149556 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 23:34:36.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD ABBEY AND ATTACHED FARMBUILDING, B1258

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Ebberston and Yedingham

National Grid Reference: SE 89590 79788

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EBBERSTON B 1258 SE 87 NE (south-east side, off) 13/18 The Old Abbey and attached farmbuilding (Previously listed 10.11.53 as 'Barn South' of Abbey Farm incorporating part of remains of Yedingham Abbey) II* House and attached farmbuilding incorporating part of the former chapel of Yedingham Priory. C12-C13 wall containing two blocked arches; C18 house probably incorporating a late C17 farmhouse; altered C19. Dressed sandstone; pantile roof; brick stacks. House originally 2-cell baffle-entry plan, later extended to incorporate the remains of the Priory wall in a service wing and attached farmbuilding to form an 1-shape. 2-storey, single window crosswing to right of 1 storey range. The C20 door within a glazed porch is contained in the re-entrant angle. C20 2-light casements with wedge lintels to ground and first floors of crosswing; C20 dormer to l½ storey range. Rear: to end right of attached farmbuilding is a blocked round arch of voussoirs with a continuous moulded impost band. To the left of the arch is a bracketed holy water stoup with a trefoiled canopy. Coped gables and shaped kneelers. Central stack to crosswing and end stack to service wing. Interior of farmbuilding: reverse of round arch, single chamfered, beneath a hood-mould with one surviving stiff-leaf stop. Imposts with stiff-leaf moulding. Interior of house: the first room of the service wing and the room above contain a second, pointed, arch, of three orders. Slender colonettes have stiff-leaf capitals; the arch has keel and dog-tooth mouldings. The pointed apex of the arch is visible in the room above but the exterior has been completely walled-in. In the room to the left of the crosswing the chamfered bressumer, firewindow and spice cupboard of the central fireplace survive. The firehood is visible in the centre of the floor above. Two C18 plank doors survive: one to the service wing passage, and one to the first floor room to the right, which also has an H-L hinge.

Listing NGR: SE8959079788

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 329637

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing