This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF SAINT HILDA

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT HILDA

List entry Number: 1149609

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT HILDA, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ampleforth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 329569

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

AMPLEFORTH STATION ROAD SE 57 NE (west side)

5/10 Church of Saint Hilda

4.1.55 GV II

Church. 1868 by T.H. and F. Healey incorporating C12 to C14 features from former church on same site. Hammer dressed limestone with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof. Victorian Gothic style. West tower, 4-bay nave with north aisle and south porch, 2-bay chancel. Tower: plinth, 2-light trefoil- headed window to west, twin round-headed belfry windows to each face. Embattled parapet with pinnacles. North aisle incorporates re-sited C12 round-arched doorway of 2 orders, one with beakheads. Hoodmould has crude carvings, some representing signs of the zodiac. South porch contains C12 round-arched door of 2 roll-moulded orders carried on shafts with foliate capitals. Hoodmould with foliate decoration and headstops. Nave and chancel windows in early English and Geometric style. East end: 3-light window in Geometric style with 2-light trefoil-headed window to north aisle. Interior: C12 circular font, fluted above central band, on chamfered base. Tower contains early C14 stone effigy of bearded man with a woman peering over his left shoulder. Defaced inscription "Willelmus de .'......." to right edge of monument. C14 incised tomb slab with cross and chalice in north aisle. Pevsner N. "Yorkshire: the North Riding" 1966.

Listing NGR: SE5829578644

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966)

National Grid Reference: SE 58295 78644

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149609 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 07:13:21.

End of official listing