CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1149613

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149613 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 17:51:30.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Gate Helmsley

National Grid Reference: SE 69071 55217

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 65 NE GATE HELMSLEY MAIN STREET (north side)

5/27 (7/20) Church of St Mary

29 1 53 - II*

Church. Early C13 arcade, C15 west tower, substantially restored 1885-6. Sandstone ashlar, Welsh slate roof. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with single-bay aisle to south and chapel to north. 3-stage tower with blocked window, 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery to second stage, two 2-light belfry windows above surmounted by battlement with later pinnacles. Nave: C19 square-headed windows to aisles and clerestory. Basket arch to south porch. Pointed south door. 2 shouldered windows to chancel south aisle. Reset C13 lancet to north chapel. East window: 3 stepped lancets. Interior: C12 capital re-used as stoup in porch. C13 round-arched arcade. Pointed C15 arch of 2 chamfered orders to west tower. Pevsner, Yorkshire: The North Riding, 1966.

Listing NGR: SE6907155217

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 329471

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966)

End of official listing