CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149692

Date first listed: 10-Oct-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149692 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 04:30:31.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Heslerton

National Grid Reference: SE 91135 75844

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HESLERTON WEST HESLERTON VILLAGE SE 97 NW 5/17 Church of All Saints 10.10.66 - II Church. C13 chancel, partly rebuilt in 1859. Restoration of 1886 by C.Hodgson Fowler. Tooled sandstone with sandstone ashlar dressings and slate roofs. West bellcote; 3-bay nave and north aisle; chancel and vestry. Square-headed west door with tall foiled lancet above. Trefoil-headed window to north aisle. All openings are hollow-chamfered, with hoodmoulds. Twin-arched gabled bellcote with gable cross. North and south sides have 2 square-headed 2-light windows with hoodmoulds, with reticulated tracery on south side and trefoil-headed lights on north side. Chancel south side contains 3 lancets, 2 original, the westernmost inserted. Wall tablet to Christopher Wood (d 1826) and his wife and son, by Monkman of Malton. North side has 2 original lancets to east of gabled vestry. Shouldered north door and east lancet to vestry. Rebuilt east window of 3 stepped lancets beneath 2-centred hoodmould. Gable cross. Interior: north arcade of pointed chamfered arches on octagonal columns. All window openings have been widened and deeply splayed beneath chamfered segmental arches. Original quoined doorway, now blocked, in chancel north wall. Vestry, originally external, side is chamfered with a pointed arch beneath a chamfered hoodmould with a decayed stop to west. In chancel, late C13 - early C14 segment-arched Easter Sepulchre with filleted roll moulding, beneath crocketed, gabled canopy with crocket finial. Gable tympanum contains crudely carved Coronation of the Virgin enclosed in quatrefoil moulding, between spandrels carved with foliage. Below is a tomb with carved panelled sides of paired, pointed lights, beneath band of quatrefoils. Piscina beneath restored pointed arch in chancel south wall. Plain octagonal font on quatrefoil pedestal, donated by Viscount Downe and probably by W.Butterfield. Monuments: 3 late C17 grave slabs in the sanctuary to members of the Barnard family. On nave south wall, a tall wall tablet with fulsome memorial to Sir Christopher Sykes of Sledmere, the noted agriculturalist (d 1805), erected by his daughter and carved by W Plows of York. Fittings: C19 brass chandelier in chancel.

Listing NGR: SE9113575844

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 329356

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing