CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1149710

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149710 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 13:38:00.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Normanby

National Grid Reference: SE 73481 81656

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORMANBY VILLAGE SE 78 SW (east side) 2/35 Church of St Andrew 10.11.53

- II*

Church. Mid C12 arcade; chancel arch c1300, partly rebuilt 1894; rebuilt 1718; restoration, and chancel rebuilt, 1893-95 by Temple Moore, when C15 east window was reset in chancel north wall. Coursed sandstone rubble with rebuilt west end in dressed sandstone and windows of sandstone ashlar. Tiled roofs to nave and porch; stone slate roof to chancel. West bellcote; 3-bay nave, north aisle and south porch; chancel and north vestry. West end: segment-headed window of 3 cusped lights beneath hoodmould. Gabled bellcote with twin arches and gable cross. Lancet in west end of north aisle. Nave: porch contains earlier masonry including a C13 corbel, the base of a C12 column and reset lancet. Rebuilt doorway incorporates part of C12 roll-moulded arch. Square-headed window of 3 trefoil-headed lights to east of porch, and paired lancets further to east. North side has 2 lancets. Chancel: south wall contains 2 lancets, that to east with trefoil ogee head. North side has one lancet. East end: 3-light window beneath 2- centred arch and hoodmould. Interior: north arcade of round arches on cylindrical piers with square abaci and moulded capitals. 2-centred chancel arch on half-octagonal triple responds. North respond capital carved as 2 affronted birds; south respond capital carved with ivy leaves and grotesque head to east. Chancel north wall contains reset square-headed window of 3 lights with cavetto mullions and cinquefoil heads. Sanctuary south wall contains piscina incorporating C13 trefoil head and C12 colonette. Barrel- vaulted king-post roof with finely carved bosses. C17 octagonal font on C19 pedestal. Alms box, possibly C17, in the form of a turned baluster. Some C17 turned balusters reused in altar rail.

Listing NGR: SE7348181656

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 329298

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing