ABBEY MILL AND ATTACHED COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149724

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1981

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Aug-1987

Statutory Address: ABBEY MILL AND ATTACHED COTTAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ABBEY MILL AND ATTACHED COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149724 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 09:31:04.

Location

Statutory Address: ABBEY MILL AND ATTACHED COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Rosedale East Side

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: SE 72413 95835

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROSEDALE EAST SIDE ROSEDALE ABBEY SE 7295 16/45 Abbey Mill and attached cottage - (formerly listed as Mill 25.9.81 buildings at Rosedale Abbey) GV II Cornmill and attached cottage; both buildings now used for storage. Mill rebuilt in 1853 replacing an earlier mill; cottage partly rebuilt c1982. C19 rebuilding by George Wilson. Hammer-dressed sandstone reusing some herringbone-tooled sandstone; pantile roof to mill; concrete pantile roof to cottage. Bridge-type mill with high breast wheel. 2-storey and attic, 2-window front to mill, with single-storey, 4-bay front to cottage to right. Mill: plank stable door to right. 2-light window opening to left of door and 2 shuttered openings further to left, the end one the inspection hole to the wheelchamber. 2-light window to first floor right, with smaller square opening to left. 2 small square shuttered openings to attic. Vertically- tooled lintels to door and windows. Door lintel has untooled shaped panel to centre inscribed: "GEORGE WILSON 1853"; above is a reset datestone with the inscription: "FC 1667". Coped gables and shaped kneelers. End left stack. Rear: blocked wheelchamber opening to right, between ground and first floors. Board lifting door to left, to first floor. At end left both floors have 2-light, 12-pane horizontal-sliding sashes. Attic has 2 square shuttered openings. cottage: panelled door to right of centre and 2-light, large-pane horizontal-sliding sashes, all with renewed lintels and sills. Coped gable to right and end right stack.

Listing NGR: SE7241395835

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 382463

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing