CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAURENCE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149725

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAURENCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAURENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149725 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 04:36:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAURENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Rosedale East Side

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: SE 72393 95929

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROSE DALE EAST SIDE ROSEDALE ABBEY SE 7295 16/47 Church of St Mary and St Laurence GV II Church. 1839, replacing the C14 Priory Chapel and incorporating one C14 window from the former Priory (qv); gallery inserted later in C19, probably when East and West Rosedale became one parish in 1876. By Lewis Vulliamy. Dressed sandstone with sandstone ashlar dressings and slate roof. West bellcote; 6-bay nave and continuous sanctuary; south vestry. West end: panelled double doors recessed in double-chamfered 2-centred doorway. 2 lancets above. Gabled bellcote with pointed bell opening. South side: 6 bays articulated 1:2:2:1 by end and intermediate offset buttresses. Gabled vestry projects from the sixth bay. Pointed panelled door in second bay to west. Remaining bays contain full-height lancets. Vestry gable end incorporates reused window of 2 pointed lights with chamfered Y tracery and a cinquefoil over, much decayed. Both returns contain single lancets with pointed bordered lights. Church north side repeats the south without the vestry. A stone over the door has a recessed centre panel encompassing the words "Omnia Vanitas" in low relief. The east end has 3 stepped lancets. All openings are splayed and all windows have diamond lattice glazing. Coped gables with plain kneelers. Gable crosses to vestry and east end. Interior: pews of 1907 by Thompson of Kilburn. Carved oak lectern from Holland, presented to the church in the late C19, by George Leeman. Near the sanctuary and slightly to the north, is a graveslab on which traces of a foliated cross are faintly visible. The Bishop's Chair in the sanctuary is constructed of ancient stones from the Priory. Against the exterior of the east wall of the Church is a stone coffin, without cover, shaped and hollowed out to form a neck and head rest. It was found in the churchyard in 1886 by the Sexton.

Listing NGR: SE7239395929

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 382465

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing