HIGH STABLES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1149813

Date first listed: 06-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jun-1986

Statutory Address: HIGH STABLES

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGH STABLES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149813 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 22:39:34.

Location

Statutory Address: HIGH STABLES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains

National Grid Reference: SE 27800 70014

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 27 SE and LINDRICK WITH STUDLEY STUDLEY PARK SE 26 NE ROYAL AND FOUNTAINS High Stables (formerly 5/43 listed as Studley Royal and 8/43 House (part occupied)) 6.3.67

GV II*

Stable range, now house. 1728-32. By John Simpson and Robert Doe probably to designs by Colen Campbell and Roger Morris for John Aislabie. Ashlar, stone slate roof. 4 ranges of 1 and 2 storeys around a square courtyard with corner towers. Alternately rusticated quoins to ground floor. East front: 7-bay arcade flanked by 2-storey towers in Palladian style. Rusticated piers, round arches with keystones. Moulded cornice, shallow parapet and ball finials. Each flanking tower has sash with glazing bars in architrave with consoles and pediment; 6-pane sash above in eared and shouldered architrave. Arcade cornice continued as a first-floor band; moulded eaves cornice; shallow blocking course; pyramidal roof; copper ball finial with weather vane. Corniced stacks to left and right. Cupola with shallow pointed roof and ball finial to centre of rear (west) range. Large stone cistern in centre of courtyard. Interior not inspected at resurvey, but contains fine mid-C18 fireplaces salvaged from Studley Royal House. The 'black and white' room contains the marble flooring from the altar area of the estate chapel and the 'red room' was later the chapel and subsequently the trophy room (W T C Walker, personal communication). Colen Campbell's work in Yorkshire includes his design for Newby Park, Baldersby (1720-21) for Sir William Robinson, Aislabie's brother-in-law. Aislabie returned to Studley after his disgrace as Chancellor of the Exchequer following the South Sea Bubble Crisis of 1720. High Stables was built as the racing stable block to Studley Royal House although the north and south ranges were converted to service use soon after construction. In 1946 the house was burnt down and High Stables became the principal residence.

Listing NGR: SE2780070007

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331047

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 32 North Yorkshire,

End of official listing